April 20, 2013

Saving Silver Coins.

So reading back on my last post I sounded like some flustered crazy lady ready to sprint away into the wilderness at a moments notice. While that crazy Erin is still me, the other half of me had been out in force today and I think I should call her "Practical Erin". Realising that I can't just leave at a moment's notice, that I actually need this small thing called money is quite an upsetting thought when you come to think about it. So this is where practical Erin comes in.

I'm pretty good at saving and I hardly ever splash out on luxuries (emphasis on the hardly, I do still like to treat myself from time to time!) and I've been keeping money boxes since I was little, when I was younger I'd save up all my pocket money to buy something yummy from the school canteen every now and then. But since I stopped getting pocket money a long long time ago I have to use my own money to save up, which is much harder. At the end of last year I came across a money box that I hadn't put money in for a long time and found that I had a whole $80 stored away in there. Naturally, I went to the bank and then spent all of it and a little more on some new clothes. But it made me realise how easy it is to save money, provided you have the mindset that you can never take money out of your money box once it's in there (until you decide of course).

So practical Erin would now like to introduce my TRAVELLING JAR
Now I know what you're thinking. "Erin, that jar will fit about $50 max in it" and that's probably true, but the concept behind this is that whenever the jar is full I will take it to the bank and get it exchanged into notes, then I will store those notes in a top secret place and I'm not allowed to spend them until I can use them to go TRAVELLING!

Good idea right? I have some rules that go with my jar too:
1. I can only put silver coins in it (this makes it easier for me to put coins in more often)
2. Whenever I spend money and get silver coins as change I cannot then spend those coins, I have to come home and empty all the silver coins out of my purse and into here each night.
3. DO NOT REMOVE MONEY! I know it's tempting, but it'll be better in the long run if I don't.

I know this'll probably take me a while to get anywhere near enough money to go on a small trip but I'm going to keep using it until I do :)

Let me know what you think!
Over and out,
Practical & Crazy Erin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for reading this post! Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them.
x Erin