November 25, 2013

Sewing || Checkered Dress





Hello lovelies,
I know I promised you that I would have much more time to make posts now that university is over, but so far I haven't been keeping to my promise. I'm sorry!

To be honest, I haven't really even had the desire to go near a computer for an extended period of time recently. Is that normal? Instead I have been spending my time reading books and sewing too many scrunchies. Forgive me! Maybe soon I'll find inspiration for more blog posts,  but until then you'll just have to put up with getting one every now and then!

Anyway, recently I spontaneously made this dress out of some fabric we had lying around. I think it turned out alright if I'm allowed to say so myself...


 
 I started out by tracing the neckline of a shirt I already owned onto a piece of paper, and then used that as a sort of "pattern piece" to make the neck. I don't ever use actual patterns, and most of it is just "guess and hope"

Then I cut out holes for the sleeves and stitched the front and back to the neck. Afterwards I cut shorter bits of material and gathered them up to make a second sort of "skirt" for the bottom of the dress. 

On its own the dress is really baggy, so I also just sewed up a long belt of material from the same white material as the neckline, to tie into a bow that would pull the dress in at the waist. This is the overall result:


I think it looks quite nice, and it is SO comfortable and easy to move in! It also reminds me a little bit of Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.

 

So what do you think? Have you done any holiday sewing projects recently?
Until my next post,





1 comment:

  1. Hh yaa it reminds me of dorothy too!! I love your work and u did it soo amazingly!! I am very proud hah :)

    Xx Barbora

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for reading this post! Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them.
x Erin