
Hello everyone!
I'm back with another "How-To" post today, yay! This one is super duper simple so absolutely anyone can make it. I love making scrunchies so much because you get to choose the colour, pattern and everything, but recently I've seen scrunchies being sold for exorbitant amounts of money, so I have come to your rescue to teach you to make your own. FOR FREE. They would also be awesome to make for christmas presents for your friends. Did someone just say MATCHING SCRUNCHIES!? Anyway, I digress. Let's get on with the actual how-to!
Materials:
- Material in any colour or pattern (I decided on christmas stars)
- Scissors
- Elastic (Mine was about .8cm wide)
- Ruler (optional)
- Safety Pin (optional)
- Sewing Machine (or a needle and thread if you can't access one)
Steps: (Refer to the photo below)
- (Not pictured) Cut your material into a long strip. Mine was about 8cm x 75cm. It's always good to cut the fabric a bit longer than you think you want; you can always cut some off later!
1. Fold your material in half lengthways so that the patterned sides of your fabric are facing each other. Sew in a straight line all the way to the end of your fabric.
2. Once you've sewn a straight line you need to turn your fabric the right way out. This step takes a little bit of time.
3. Your fabric should now look like a long snake
4. Now you need to start threading your elastic through your material. I always find it easier to attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic so it's easier to pull through.
5. Once your elastic is all the way through, start to gather it in
6. Keep gathering the fabric in until it's the size you want. Tie a knot in the elastic at the right size. There's really no set size for scrunchies, if you want it to loop around your hair less times, make it smaller, and the opposite if you want more.
7. Once you've got your scrunchie all tied up the last thing to do is sew up the two ends. I fold one end slightly in on itself to clean up the edge, and then put the other end inside of it.
8. Do a straight stitch to sew the two ends together. I'd recommend using a similar colour to the colour of the fabric. (I was lazy and didn't take my own advice)
9. You're done! Cut off any loose threads and go get that beauty in your hair!
But why just stop with simple fabric? If your scrunchie is for a friend you could decorate it with glitter glue, mini pompoms, bells, buttons, anything! Make it personal and fun!
Yay! I hope you enjoy making scrunchies as much as I do! Just a warning though, try not to get as obsessed as I am (I currently have 31 scrunchies on a constant rotation, one for each day of the month!)
If you do make some scrunchies, I'd love to see them!



Hi Erin,
ReplyDeleteThank you so so much for your comment on my blog! I can't thank you enough for that! You truly made my day, just by letting me know that I'm not alone.
These scrunchies look adorable. They remind me of my childhood, when I was wearing them every day :)
I hope you're having a wonderful week!
Sofie x
Little green Sofie
Erin you r very good at tutorials :)) these scrunchies are soo cute!! Thanks
ReplyDeleteXxoxo Barbora