Hey everyone!
Today I'm going to try and teach you how to sew your own "kimono"! I've seen these in the shops for crazy amounts of money, so I'm here to try save you and your wallet! The only thing you need to know how to do for this is sew in a straight line. In fact, it might take a bit longer but you could even hand stitch this if you wanted! So let's get on with it.
You will need:
- A large piece of fabric (light fabric is good for a summery kimono or you can use thicker fabrics if you want to use it more as a cardigan. The fabrics I bought were 112cm x 150cm.
- Fabric Scissors
- Sewing Machine (or a needle and thread!)
What to do:
1. Once you have your fabric, lay it all out completely flat. Then fold it in half along the longest sides (So you are putting the two shorter sides together.)
2. Now fold the fabric again so that the new short ends come together.
3. You should be left with a much smaller rectangle of fabric. Position it so that the sides that have all the open edges are on the bottom and right hand sides of the fabric.
4. Now you are going to start cutting. Making sure you're cutting through all the fabric, leave 12 inches of fabric along the bottom and then start cutting straight up until you're about 15 inches from the top. (The higher you cut, the less "flowy" the sleeve will be.) Then from there, cut straight out in a horizontal line until you reach the edge of the right hand side of the fabric. (It's easier just to look at photo 4)
5. Now carefully unfold the fabric until you see this T shape. You should now sew up both of the right angle cuts that you've made with a simple straight stitch.Your kimono is almost done!
6. Cut up the very centre of this T shape, on one side of the fabric only! Once you reach the top, cut about 5 inches to either side to make a neckline. You can then also cut diagonally from both edges of the neckline to the centre cut you just made, to make the neckline sit nicer.
7. Now the only thing left to do is hem! Make sure there's no raw edges anywhere along your fabric. Once you've done this, your Kimono is finished and ready for use! Now, doesn't having your own unique kimono in your favourite fabric seem so much better than forking out $50 for a badly made one at a store?
3. You should be left with a much smaller rectangle of fabric. Position it so that the sides that have all the open edges are on the bottom and right hand sides of the fabric.
4. Now you are going to start cutting. Making sure you're cutting through all the fabric, leave 12 inches of fabric along the bottom and then start cutting straight up until you're about 15 inches from the top. (The higher you cut, the less "flowy" the sleeve will be.) Then from there, cut straight out in a horizontal line until you reach the edge of the right hand side of the fabric. (It's easier just to look at photo 4)
5. Now carefully unfold the fabric until you see this T shape. You should now sew up both of the right angle cuts that you've made with a simple straight stitch.Your kimono is almost done!
6. Cut up the very centre of this T shape, on one side of the fabric only! Once you reach the top, cut about 5 inches to either side to make a neckline. You can then also cut diagonally from both edges of the neckline to the centre cut you just made, to make the neckline sit nicer.
7. Now the only thing left to do is hem! Make sure there's no raw edges anywhere along your fabric. Once you've done this, your Kimono is finished and ready for use! Now, doesn't having your own unique kimono in your favourite fabric seem so much better than forking out $50 for a badly made one at a store?
Since it's coming into winter here, I've made my kimono a bit thicker, but I can't wait to make some light ones for the spring and summer!
Let me know if you plan on making a kimono!
x Erin


Gosh, you're the prettiest. Not only am I totally in love with your kimono, but your outfit is gorgeous!
ReplyDeletePS - I feel like I've asked this before, and don't judge me if I have, but where did you get those boots?
PPS - You get the best flares on whatever camera it is you use. <3
Aww thankyou! I got my boots from Target, I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them and have hardly taken them off since! :D
DeleteHow cute! I'm going to try and complete a couple of sewing projects this summer, and I just may add this to my list. :)
ReplyDeleteSo cool!! Kimonos are very in right now!!
ReplyDeleteI would love to try one of your tutorials
Xx Barbora
Abitconfusing.blogspot.com
Oh this is SO lovely I will defiantly have to try this one day :D
ReplyDeleteRuby xox
rubydean.com
I nominated you For a Liebster award here!
ReplyDeleteMake sure you check out my blog post for the questions and rules here! - http://kadeklouise.blogspot.com.au/2014/05/liebster-award.html
Have an awesome day! :3