September 14, 2014

DIY || Spoon Windchimes

Hey Everyone!
Spring is finally here and I am so excited! To celebrate I thought I'd share with you a DIY I did last week. I'd decided that to balance out my over-abundance of dreamcatchers in my room (5 and counting) I needed to make something new! I saw a similar idea using spoons in a $2 shop and decided I wanted to have a go myself. It's super simple but I thought it looked really nice so wanted to share it with you!

You will need:
- A drill (powered or a hand drill, it doesn't matter!)
- A set of spoons (preferably made of a light metal) or any other cutlery item of your choice
- Thread
- A long stick or rod
- Beads
- Scissors


1. The first thing to do is drill a small hole at the end of the handle of all of your spoons.


2. The next thing to do is cut a piece of thread and secure it to your stick before you start adding beads on. You can make your threads any length, but I wanted my spoons to go down on an angle so started with a really short thread.

3. Once you've added all the beads you want, thread it through the hole you've drilled in a spoon and secure it.

4. Repeat this same process for all your other spoons until you either run out of motivation or run out of spoons (whichever comes first) I used 7 spoons but you can use as many as you want. 


5. Once you've finished all your beading and everything is tied to your stick, tie a final long piece of string to each end of your stick so that you can hang your cutlery-masterpiece!

I've currently got mine hanging over my window so it can catch any breeze the comes in my window, or I also tend to knock it while I'm tending to my windowsill garden each morning. I was surprised with how nice the spoons sound when they hit against each other.


Let me know what Spring (or Autumn!) crafts you've done recently, have you ever used something in a way other than what its original purpose was?

I hope you've all had a wonderful week!
x Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for reading this post! Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them.
x Erin