July 11, 2013

How To || Making Study Timetables


Hello everyone! 
So with the second semester of university just around the corner I figured it was time to make up my new study timetable. I know last semester I showed you a picture of mine, but I thought this time I would step you all through how I actually go about making one to make sure I'll stick to it and that it works!

It took me up until Grade 12 to realise that study timetables actually do help me, but I'm by no means saying that the way I do it is right, study timetables may not even work for you! I just wanted to show you what works for me. Enjoy!


1. Draw up your timetable. I like drawing mine on an A3 sheet of paper and sticking it on my wall so it's easy to see. Make sure you have enough spaces for all the time you will be needing in the day!


2. Draw in your "definites" these are the things that you will definitely be doing at the same time each week, and there is no avoiding them! For me it's my university classes, it could also be your school classes or job. 


3. Next I like to give myself travel time. For me, it takes about 45 minutes from home to uni, so I've given myself an hour on each time of the day. (It's better to give yourself too much time to do things than too little!)

I also add in lunch, breaks, breakfast and dinner. I give myself an hour for breakfast and even though it doesn't take that long for me to eat, it also gives me a bit of "me" time before the start of my day!


4. Next you should add in things that are important to you, maybe consider scheduling doing some exercise a few times a week. This will keep your body happy and healthy and you'll have energy to finish the week off strong! For me I do an hour of Pilates 6 days a week, it also helps me relieve stress and think over what happened that day.


5. Next, you can't be expected to study study study ever hour of the day! Make sure you also give yourself time for the things that you love. Here I've dedicated 2 hours on a Saturday Morning to write you all a new blog post. I've decided to dedicate to making this blog a better place!


5. Next I'll add in study times. For me, I can't concentrate for over an hour at a time, so I study each subject in 1 hour bursts with a quick 5 minute break in between. The trick that I use, is to count how many hours of the subject you do each week and then match that time with study. For example, if I have 5 hours of contact time per week for a subject, I'll be sure to also fit in 5 hours of study. That way you'll never fall behind in work!

6. Don't worry if your timetable is not full (I have hardly anything on a Saturday) because that leaves in plenty of time for any unexpected things that pop up during the week! This way you can reshuffle and still fit everything in!


7. Always schedule in a time for "extra work" (For me this is an hour after dinner every day) This way if that assignment your working on needs a bit more done you still have a time to do it!

That's all the tips from me!
Do you make a study timetable? Will you try out mine?
Let me know!

Over and out,
Erin.



2 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! I always struggle keeping up with extra uni stuff, like doing the set readings but I think if I gave myself a certain time for them, I'd be more likely to do them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so much more organised than me! I have a wall planner to keep an eye on what's going on, but with three jobs as well as full time uni, being this organised would be a struggle. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for reading this post! Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them.
x Erin